Monday, January 25, 2010

Avatar and Utopia



Tom and I had been waiting impatiently for Avatar to come out since seeing the amazing trailers earlier in the year. We've seen it twice so far, in 3D the second time. (Yes, it does add to the experience and the goggles are only slightly uncomfortable on the bridge of the nose.) There has been no shortage of commentary on its artistry, reworked themes, and audacious use of the latest technologies. But another idea suggested itself to me upon seeing it for the second time.

Many of you Futurodyssey readers will remember that I recently completed my Masters thesis on the topic of utopia. So I couldn't resist the opportunity to do a short review of Avatar through the lens of utopia.

Read it here and follow the links to related articles if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment